As the Stay Home, Stay Healthy order stretches on, you might be digging deep into your cupboards for #quarantinecooking — this article might help you know what’s still safe to eat. As the rain closes in, distract yourself with a virtual stroll through the Brooklyn Botanic Garden’s Japanese garden in bloom.
The sea.citi Team
HOW TECH COMPANIES ARE SUPPORTING OUR COMMUNITIES
- Google is offering financial support to local newsrooms hit by the economic fallout of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Google has made it free for merchants to sell on Google.
- Amazon Web Services, Zillow, Madrona and Uber are a few of the companies participating in CareerConnect@Home — a program of Career Connect Washington where each day in May, employers, labor organizations, and non-profits will host a live, online discussion about their industry and their work for students in grades 7 through 12 statewide.
- DreamBox is offering free access to their digital learning platform.
- Amazon is paying one of their caterers to deliver meals to seniors and people with disabilities in public housing.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
- Support college students — despite efforts to help local students access the technology to participate in distance learning, some students are falling through the cracks. JobLink is a program of Seattle Housing Authority; they have an *urgent need for 38 laptops* for program participants enrolled in Seattle area colleges who will either fall behind or cease their educational pursuits without access to a functioning computer. Donate here to help meet JobLink’s goals.
- Support local arts venues — Seattle Theatre Group’s Annual Fundraiser is virtual this year.
- Spice up your Zoom meetings — Seattle themed virtual backgrounds!
- Sponsor a family — reader Minda’s 1K Project pairs donors with families in need.
MOST RECENT COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENTS
- Governor Inslee banned utility companies for cutting off services amid the COVID-19 crisis.
- King County Metro is limiting the number of passengers on buses to better ensure social distancing.
We are so proud of the many examples of how our region is weathering the global pandemic. We’ve shared with you how employers are stepping up, how philanthropy is rallying resources and how individuals are contributing. The next step is putting faces to these bullet points, we’re already hearing from tech industry and community leaders and we want to keep adding to these inspiring stories — tell us yours!