We hope today’s newsletter finds you well! If you need a laugh, memes using supercuts of the intro to the old tv show Beyond Belief Fact or Fiction might help: trying to work from home with an inquisitive child around? Did your roommate hit the quarantine stash of wine a little too hard?
The sea.citi Team
HOW TECH COMPANIES ARE SUPPORTING OUR COMMUNITIES
- Seattle’s Human Services Department used Tableau’s software to build an online map of available food resources for people in need.
- Uber’s JUMP Bikes is offering free rides to essential workers. Uber is also providing 10 million free rides and food deliveries to healthcare workers, seniors, and people in need.
- Google and Facebook are offering paid parental leave during school closures.
- Verizon has expanded its relief efforts by:
- Donating up to $5 million to support businesses impacted by COVID-19;
- Donating $9 million to various relief organizations, including the American Red Cross, and matching employee donations 2:1;
- Donating $5 million to No Kid Hungry;
- Offering enhanced pay for essential on-site employees;
- Implementing a variety of utility relief programs; and
- Making premium education programming available over its wireless and wireline services.
- Microsoft is partnering with Swedish Health Services to build an app that helps hospital staff monitor resources for COVID-19-related care.
- Silver Lining is a free two-way marketplace purpose-built for individuals who’ve been laid off to be discovered by technology companies that are hiring.
- D-Wave Leap is offering free quantum cloud access for projects responding to COVID-19.
- NewsGuard is offering a free browser extention to combat coronavirus hoaxes and other misinformation.
- Monday.vc launched Hospitality Link to connect hospitality workers to open jobs in the grocery industry.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
- Stay Home. Seriously.
- Don’t forget to fill out your Census 2020 form — you should have received your invitation to respond in the mail, if you haven’t, get in touch with them directly.
- Support PNW tech communities — join New Tech NW’s pay-what-you-want subscription-based online community.
- Donate to support Silver Lining’s marketplace.
- Collaborate, contribute, test — NextTrace has launched an effort to help contain COVID-19 using location data from patients’ mobile devices and they’re looking for help.
MOST RECENT COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENTS
- Governor Inslee extended the “Stay Home, Stay Healthy” order until May 4.
- The Folklife Festival has been postponed.
- The Governor’s office has released more guidance on essential businesses.