Spring is in the air, finally. So get out there and enjoy the longer days, cherry blossoms, and all that our region offers.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day. May your blessings outnumber the shamrocks that grow. And may trouble avoid you wherever you go.
The sea.citi Team
Tech for Good Updates
- Amazon is investing $42 million to build affordable housing near light rail stations in Seatac and Bellevue
- Expedia is taking sustainability of its new campus to the next level: dirt
- Google, LinkedIn, Microsoft, Meta, Pinterest, Salesforce, and over 60 other companies called on Texas Governor Abbott to drop the recent anti-trans legislation
- Starbucks wants to help you fuel up (your EV) and is piloting integrated charging stations between Denver and Seattle
- Zillow has been partnering with nonprofit Housing Connector to help house more than 2,600 people in an effort to change the game for high-risk renters
Individual Actions & Distractions
- Watch an excellent 15-minute video produced by Pindex that highlights the Russian-Ukrainian war. The UK’s Stephen Fry succinctly lays out some history, options, and horrors. There’s also this informative PBS 7-minute video explaining the history of Ukraine and its people’s political independence.
- Attend the Community Involvement Commission meeting Monday, March 21st. The City of Seattle encourages everyone to participate in its programs and activities. Learn more about the commission here.
- Learn about the Irish in America and the history of St. Patrick’s Day and also check out why some people prefer to wear orange instead of green.
- Binge the comedy satire series Servant of the People, which stars former actor and current Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. You can follow his much more serious Twitter here.
- Don’t chuck your mask you’re going to need it, and that’s probably wise anyway because of this.
- And then finally, because we’re chatty this morning… the blame lies squarely on New Zealand entomologist George Hudson and NOT Benjamin Franklin for the candle-saving invention of Daylight Savings.
- Seattle City Attorney has a new plan to arrest, intervene with 118 repeat offenders
- Seattle entrepreneur created a list of corporations boycotting Russia and those that are not.
- In a timely but unexpected vote, U.S. Senate goes for permanent daylight saving time.
- New legislation from the Washington State Congress aims to capture the natural gas seeping from landfills.