Get ready for a wet one as a baroclinic leaf heads our way. You might want to grab the jacket with a hood.
Tech for Good Updates
- AreaHub displays potential environmental threats to your home
- The Gates Foundation announced $922 million will be spent over the next five years to battle malnutrition, which is on the rise from COVID-19
- Facebook backed the installation of a public mural promoting COVID vaccinations in the University District
- AWS launched a $40 million initiative to reduce inequities in healthcare, providing credits and technical support to organizations
Individual Actions & Distractions
- Eat your way to new light rail stations
- See how HOT Seattle real estate is in graphs
- Ask your questions to local candidates
- Volunteer with Immigrants and Refugees
- Grab your lederhosen
- Join the fun at the Scarecrow Festival
- Seattle City Council approved new renter protections requiring 6 months notice to tenants before rent increases
- The MacArthur Genius Grants were unveiled recently and includes two Seattleites, a poet and an infectious disease scientist
- Seattle Mayor Durkan’s final budget proposal increases staffing for Seattle Police, among other things
- Economists recently discussed the effects COVID-19 brought on remote work and movement patterns
Join us as we sponsor Crosscut’s next event The Future of Seattle: Building the City We Want, on October 7 at 6 pm.
How will the many issues including hybrid work models and half-empty offices; economic instability that threatens vulnerable communities and businesses; diverse neighborhoods upended by gentrification and displacement; and rising costs of living that make it unaffordable for artists affect the future of the region.
Hear how community leaders hope to rebuild Seattle to be the city we want it to be.
Mike Lewis, Policy & Tech Reporter Geekwire, Moderator
Kate Becker, Creative Economy & Recovery Director, Office of King County
Ubax Gardheere, Equitable Economic Development Director, City of Seattle
John Scholes, President & CEO, Downtown Seattle Association