We hope you are all safe and warm after this week’s storm.
The sea.citi Team
Tech for Good Updates
- Airbnb cancelled all DC-area bookings ahead of next week’s inauguration.
- Amazon, Facebook and Google are among the tech companies pausing political contributions.
- Apple announced new projects related to its $100M racial equity pledge.
- AWS, Facebook, Google, Twitch and Youtube are just a few of the companies that have suspended or banned Donald Trump’s accounts.
- Facebook hired a VP of Civil Rights.
- Hulu is offering discounted service to college students.
Individual Actions & Distractions
- Fact check before retweeting
- Apply to join the landmarks preservation board
- Recycle your old smartphone
- Be Productive with these one-sentence tips
- Make a map of any city
- Find almost any recipe
- All of Washington’s Democratic and two of three Republican representatives voted to impeach Donald Trump.
- Despite expanded federal eligibility for the COVID-19 vaccine, rollout is still trying to catch up.
- Seattle made $2.17M available in direct cash assistance for hospitality workers impacted by COVID-19.
- The Washington State Legislature began its 2021 session with increased security.
- Mayor Durkan and Seattle City Council members are calling on the president of the Seattle Police Union to resign.
Meet the Team
- Name + Title: Nicholas Merriam, CEO
- Hometown: Redmond, WA
- Why Seattle? Seattle is the perfect paradox. Big city amenities with a small town feel. Always rainy with glorious sun.
- Besides the obvious, like your smartphone/laptop/etc… what’s one piece of tech you can’t live without? Sonos/Spotify. It’s a game changer to not need wires and have all the music you could ever want at your fingertips. I also just got an ANGi bike crash sensor to use as I peddle kiddos around on our cargo bike. I hope by having it, I’ll never need it.
- What community issue(s) do you think about all the time? Kids. In college I worked for the Boys and Girls Club and an emergency youth shelter on the weekends. Later, I joined the board of Friends of Youth for 6 years. Kids don’t get to pick the life they’re handed and every kid should get support, love, and opportunity.
- What can anyone ask you for that you’ll happily oblige? Vegan cooking. I’m not officially vegan, but eat that way nearly all the time.