Between the sunshine, Martin Luther King Jr. Day and yesterday’s inauguration, this week hit different — hope you’re all able to ride this high for a little while.
Tech for Good Updates
- Amazon sent a letter to President Biden offering assistance with vaccination efforts.
- Included is building a platform that integrates with all employee data systems to help promote a high retention and belonging culture at scale.
- Google announced a $250,000 grant to United We Dream to cover the DACA application fees of over 500 Dreamers.
- Microsoft is working with the state of Washington and local hospitals to open up buildings at its headquarters for vaccine administration.
- Microsoft, Salesforce and Oracle are teaming up with the Mayo Clinic and other healthcare companies to develop a digital vaccination credential.
Individual Actions & Distractions
- Hear career lessons from women in tech
- Visualize how vaccination roll out is going globally (spoiler alert: very slowly)
- Play the 2020 Game
- Share — COVID-19 first made headlines a year ago this week. The Seattle Times would like to know what you would have done differently had you known then what you know now.
- Gov. Inslee announced new vaccine guidance and goals.
- The Seattle Public Library expanded curbside services.
Meet the Team
- Name + Title: Erika Jones-Clary, Web, Design & Communications Solutions Consultant
- Hometown: San Francisco, CA
- Wait, where are you? Fredonia, NY [wiki] – Seeking more friendly real estate prices, I took part in the 2018 tech exodus out of the Bay Area. We landed in a beautiful village with a terrific mix of characters.
- Besides the obvious, like your smartphone/laptop/etc… what’s one piece of tech you can’t live without? My Xbox to stream media on the TV – I’ve basically mainlined Star Wars and Superheroes since March 2020. …special shout out to my Rice Cooker and KitchenAid Stand Mixer.
- What community issue(s) do you think about all the time? Emergency preparedness and equal access to disaster services for underserved communities. Everyone should ensure that they’re prepared for any emergency so that one doesn’t take resources away from individuals who are unable. Prepare yourself = build a kit, make a plan.
- What can anyone ask you for that you’ll happily oblige? I will feed you.