The covid numbers are scary right now. Though we’ve been monitoring this news since we started sending updates on March 13, we made a conscious choice to not include public health statistics in these updates. We want to be mindful that “the numbers” are people. By largely focusing on tech-for-good news and opportunities to engage, we’ve seen that our industry and community can come together to flatten the curve and take care of each other. Let’s continue to do this work!
The sea.citi Team
- AWS announced their 2020 Imagine grant winners.
- AWS launched a new tool to detect bias in machine learning.
- Airbnb launched a nonprofit to provide lodging to essential workers and coronavirus refugees.
- Facebook is stepping up moderation against anti-Black hate speech
- Microsoft is selling ugly Windows sweaters, and part of the proceeds benefit Girls Who Code
- Microsoft (and others) joined Amazon’s Climate Pledge.
Individual Actions & Distractions
- Donate. If you’re still planning your end-of-year giving, Generation is a global nonprofit that recently expanded into Seattle. They’re building a more accessible tech career pipeline by offering Junior Web Developer and IT Helpdesk Technician programs in partnership with South Seattle College.
- Give feedback to help shape the future of Seattle’s drainage and wastewater system
- Learn about the history of the “Seattle Freeze”
- Visit the Cloud Zoo
- Visualize 10x concepts